The Politics of Policy Making
March 19, 2001
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Kellogg Ctr., MSU
This session will examine school finance reform in the 1990's as a case study for exploring the role and impact of politics in the policy making process.
Politics of Policy Making Learning Team Members
Craig Thiel, Tara Fry, Lindy Buch, Gary Miller, June Morse, Sally Hiner, and Ron Welch.
Session A (1:00pm - 2:45pm)
Break (2:45pm - 3:00pm)
A panel will discuss the politics and processes involved in crafting Michigan's historic school finance legislation.
1:00 - 1:05 Welcome and Introduction of the Video (Craig Thiel)
1:05 - 1:50 Video "Breaking the Logjam: Reflections on School Finance Reform”
1:50 - 2:00 Panel Member Introductions (Craig Thiel)
2:00 - 2:45 Panel: Proposal A Politics and Processes
- Hank Prince, Moderator, Associate Director, Michigan House Fiscal Agency
- Susan Grimes Munsell, Former Member, Michigan House of Representatives
- Scott Shrager, Senior Legislative Associate, Michigan Municipal League
Session B (3:00pm - 4:30pm)
A resource panel composed of local school district representatives will discuss how their organizations have been impacted by the Michigan's school finance reform legislation.
3:00 - 3:05 Panel Member Introductions (Lindy Buch)
3:05 - 4:30 Panel: The Impact of Proposal A
- Dr. Michael Emlaw, Moderator, Associate Executive Director, Michigan Association of School Administrators
- Al Widner, Superintendent, Lincoln Consolidated Schools, Ypsilanti
- Dr. James Ryan, Superintendent, Waverly Community Schools, Lansing
- Dr. Therese Peterson, Superintendent, Webberville Community Schools
Questions from the Floor and Open Discussion
Wrap-up with EPFP Fellows (4:30pm - 5:00pm)
Back to the Monthly Meetings Calendar