MSU President’s Education Forums
|5/20/15||Dr. Kenneth Frank||Professor||College of Education, Michigan State University||Competition or Teamwork: Teacher Evaluation in the Broader Context of School Governance|
|4/30/15||Dr. Dorinda Carter Andrews||Associate Professor||College of Education, Michigan State University||Understanding the Gendered Nature of Achievement: Cultivating Positive Academic Identities for Black Males|
|3/4/15||Dr. Joshua Plavnick||Assistant Professor of Special Education||College of Education, Michigan State University||Engineering Optimal Educational Environments for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|2/10/15||Dr. Donald E. Heller||Dean||College of Education, Michigan State University||College Access in Michigan: Challenges and Opportunities|
|2/10/15||Dr. Robert Folden||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||The Education Policy Center, Michigan State University||Policies to Enhance Educator Quality|
|2/10/15||Dr. William Schmidt||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||The Education Policy Center, Michigan State University||Next Great Challenge: Implementing the Common Core Standards|
|2/10/15||Dr. David Arsen||Professor, Educational Administration||College of Education, Michigan State University||Financial Dimensions of K-12 Education|
|2/25/14||Dr. David Arsen||Professor, Educational Administration||College of Education, Michigan State University||Financing a High-Performance State Education System|
|12/3/13||Dr. Charles Ballard||Professor of Economics||College of Social Science, Michigan State University||The Changing Economics of Education|
|10/29/13||Dr. William Schmidt||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||Center for the Study of Curriculum, Michigan State University||World Class Standards for Preparing Teachers of Mathematics|
|5/7/13||Dr. Mark Reckase||University Distinguished Professor||Measurement and Quantitative Measures, Michigan State University||Teacher Evaluation: Why is a Simple Concept so Complex?|
|4/19/12||Dr. Donald E. Heller||Dean||College of Education, Michigan State University||Higher Education Under Attack: What the Future May Hold|
|11/29/11||Dr. William Schmidt||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||Center for the Study of Curriculum, Michigan State University||The Next Great Challenge: Implementing the Common Core State Standards|
|9/27/11||Dr. Joseph S Krajcik||Director||Institute for Research on Mathematics and Science Education, Michigan State University||Securing Our Future through Research in Mathematics and Science Education|
|4/19/11||Dr. Michael D. Usdan||Senior Fellow||Institute for Educational Leadership, Washington, D.C.||The Ever-Changing Federal Role in Shaping Educational Policy: Implications for Local and State Educational Leaders|
|2/22/11||Dr. Karin Allor Pfeiffer||Assistant Professor||Department of Kinesiology, Center for Physical Activity and Health, Michigan State University||Physical Activity Benefits Learning: Implications for Policy Makers|
|4/20/10||Dr. Sonja Gunnings-Moton||Assistant Dean||Student Support Services and Recruitment and Assistant Professor of Counseling||Urban Education|
|2/16/10||Dr. Suzanne Wilson||University Distinguished Professor and Chair||Department of Teacher Education||Teacher Quality|
|11/17/09||Dr. Nell K. Duke||Co-Director||Literacy Achievement Research Center (LARC), Michigan State University||Pay a Little Now or a Lot Later: The Importance and Effectiveness of Early Literacy Education|
|10/27/09||Dr. William Schmidt||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||Center for the Study of Curriculum, Michigan State University||Too Much or Too Little, The Case for the American High School|
|4/21/09||Dr. Robert Floden||University Distinguished Professor and Co-Director||Teacher Education, Measurement and Quantitative Methods, Educational Psychology, and Educational Policy, Michigan State University||Education Stimulus: Staggering Opportunity, Monumental Challenge|
|3/3/09||Dr. David Arsen||Professor||Educational Administration in the College of Education, Michigan State University||Michigan's Economic Outlook|
|2/5/09||Dr. Lou Anna K. Simon||President||Michigan State University||A Vision for the University in Times of Economic Crisis|
|4/2/08||Dr. Sharif Shakrani||Co-Director||Education Policy Center, Michigan State University||The Reauthorization of No Child Left Behind - An Update|
|3/2/08||Dr. Young Zhao||Director and Professor||US-China Center for Research on Educational Excellence, College of Education, Michigan State University||Technology Revolution and its Impact on Education|
|1/17/08||Dr. William Bushaw||International Executive Director||Phi Delta Kappa||What Does the Public Think about No Child Left Behind?|
|11/15/07||Dr. Sharif Shakrani||Co-Director||Education Policy Center, Michigan State University||The Reauthorization of NCLB: The Worm Hides the Hook|
|9/25/07||Dr. Barbara Schneider||John Hannah Distinguished Professor||College of Education, Michigan State University||Spending Public Money Wisely: Scaling Up Educational Intervention|
|4/7/07||Dr. Sharif Shakrani||Co-Director||The Education Policy Center, Michigan State University||Urban Education in Michigan: Investing in Success|
|2/21/06||Dr. Robert Floden||Director||Institute for Research on Teaching and Learning, Michigan State University||Teacher Quality: What Does this Mean for Michigan Policy Makers|
|1/17/06||Dr. Joan Ferrini-Mundy||University Distinguished Professor and Director||Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Michigan State University||Expectations for Michigan Students in Mathematics: Relevance, Rigor and Relationships in Proposed High School Content Expectations|
MVU Leadership & Policy Seminar Photo Yearbook
The Michigan Virtual University (MVU), the Michigan EPFP, and the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce co-sponsored a Leadership & Policy Seminar designed to expand skills while introducing business and community leaders to on-line learning technologies. EPFP participants examined policy issues important to Southeast Michigan and participated in the Detroit Regional Chamber's Leadership Policy Conference held on Mackinac Island in June, 1999. Click on the links to the left to see photos of the Fellows' experiences. Close this window to return to the main Michigan EPFP pages.
Learning Team Meetings and Presentations
- A photo of D. Spencer, President and CEO of Michigan Virtual University.
- D. Spencer presents at the Fellows Orientation.
- R. Pérez from the University of Michigan-Dearborn at the Orientation.
- M. Chavez from Michigan State University working on his laptop.
- L. Headley & J. Williams discuss their policy team roles.
- P. Arashiro, from MVU, helps C. Wolenberg & J. Urban-Lurain with a group assignment.
- R. Pérez, A. Rutledge, M. Addonizio, & C. Wigent listen intently at the Orientation.
- L. Baltimore, C. Chapko, M. Chavez, & C. Jones during the "Q&A" session.
- A. Sherwood from the Detroit Regional Chamber briefs the Fellows at the Orientation.
- A. Porter works on-line as L. Baltimore looks on.
- A. Rutledge from Olivet College logs some computer time.
- A photo of the Urban Revitalization team and R. Kahle, the presentation facilitator.
- A question from the audience during one of the Fellow's Policy briefings.
- Four Michigan Mayors attend one of the Fellow's Policy briefings.
- C. Wolenberg helps P. Stemmer with his make-up before his interview.
- P. Stemmer interviewed by the media at the Mackinac Conference.
Michigan EPFP Fellows: 2010-2011
Ms. Alison B. Arnold
Mr. Ralph C. Bland
Ms. Leah C. Breen
Ms. Elizabeth A. Borowski
Sponsor: Alan Kimichik and Jeff Williams (EPFP 1997-98) Public Sector Consultants
Mr. Benjamin C. Botwinski
Mr. Clay B. Braggs
Ms. Monica L. Butler
Ms. Christine M. Callahan
Mr. Phillip R. Chase
Mr. Cameron Clark
Ms. Lisa Diaz
Ms. Shulawn L. Doxie
Christopher Dunbar Jr., Ph.D.
Ms. Linda M. Frederickson
Joseph R. Freidhoff, Ph.D.
Mr. Ashley D. Harris
Spyros Konstantopoulos, Ph.D.
Mr. Richard J. Lower
Ms. Sara J. Lurie
Mr. Peter M. Mantei
Mr. Henry L. McClendon, Jr.
Mr. Michael Nauss
Ms. Michelle D. Patton
Christopher C. Plum, Ph.D.
Mr. John E. Robertson
Ms. Pamela J. Shoemaker
Mr. Ryan S. Starkweather
Michigan EPFP 2001-02 Photo Yearbook
These photographs capture and chronicle the meetings, experiences, and activities of Michigan EPFP Fellows as they progress through their fellowship year. These digital photos are divided into five categories:
- Seminar Speakers and Resources
- Learning Team Presentations
- Michigan Policy Seminar
- National Conferences (Miami, Florida)
- Alumni Seminar
Seminar Speakers and Resources
- B. Perez facilitates the MBTI discussion.
- Mayor D. Hollister discusses politics and policy.
- Fellows examine the policy process with Mayor D. Hollister.
- State Treasurer D. Roberts discusses Michigan's Economy.
- D. Schultz, J. Thompson, A. Parks, & B. Perez - the 2001-2002 MI EPFP coordinators.
- The 2002 Fellows complete a group activity.
- The 2002 Fellows complete another group activity.
- J. Austin of PPA discusses Think Tanks.
- E. Sarpolus of Epic/MRA addresses polling.
- A picture of E. Bethard, C. Weissert, and A. Parks at an IPPSRs reunion.
- D. Plank, C. Weissert, and J. Austin discussing the Role of Think Tanks.
Learning Team Presentations
- B. Steenwyk discusses ethics and individual change.
- C. Cowling discusses leadership from the perspective of leader of a non-profit organization.
- D. Sinila introduces the panel during his learning team presentation.
- E. Bethard presents on networking and collaboration.
- Michigan EPFP Fellows participate in "Networking, Partnering, and Collaboration" learning team presentation.
- A group photo of the "Public vs. Private Leadership" learning team.
- J. Stinett, L. Frankes, & J. Linsell share the podium during the "Best Practices" learning team presentation.
- J. Davis, President of the Lansing School District Board of Education, addresses the audience during the "Public vs. Private Leadership" learning team presentation.
- J. Wood presents during the "Ethics as it Relates to Public Policy, Leadership & Individual Change" learning team presentation.
- J. Linsell discusses "Best Practices."
- J. Weiss & G. Lantzy introduce a group exercise during "The Impact of Networking, Partnering & Collaboration" learning team presentation.
- A group photo of the "Ethics as it Relates to Public Policy, Leadership & Individual Change" learning team.
- J. Brown-Clarke during the "Ethics as it Relates to Public Policy, Leadership & Individual Change" learning team presentation.
- R.L. Harris addresses the audience during the "Public vs. Private Leadership" learning team presentation.
- A picture of the "Lego" activity from "The Impact of Networking, Partnering & Collaboration" learning team presentation.
- D. Lincoln discusses the key elements of collaboration.
- A group photo of the "Best Practices" learning team.
- A group photo of the "Role of the MDE" learning team.
- P. Hartenburg asks a question during a learning team presentation.
- P. Cunningham, President of the Lansing Community College, addresses the audience during the "Public vs. Private Leadership" learning team presentation.
- S. Banks, Superintendent of the Lansing School District, addresses the audience during the "Public vs. Private Leadership" learning team presentation.
- S. Miller & B. Thelen present during "The Impact of Networking, Partnering & Collaboration" learning team presentation.
- State Superintendent of Public Instruction, T. Watkins, discusses the role of the Michigan Department of Education and his vision for the future.
Michigan Policy Seminar
- D. Weatherspoon, from MDE, serves as a moderator for the Michigan Policy Seminar at the State Capitol.
- Senator L. Stille at the Michigan Policy Seminar.
- A learning team meeting at the State Capitol at the Michigan Policy Seminar.
- S. Jenkins, the Governor's former Education Advisor, making a point at the Michigan Policy Seminar.
- State Representative W. Kuipers meeting with the Fellows at the Michigan Policy Seminar.
National Conferences - Miami, Florida
- A. Koga between "Mind and Body" sessions.
- B. Steenwyk at the conclusion of the Leadership Forum.
- B. Perez after the Project Planning Situation.
- C. Sawyer, California Coordinator and Michigan EPFP Alum.
- N. Fahner networking in Miami.
- M. Gerzon discusses his "Six Belief Systems."
- H. Moorman, EPFP Director and DC EPFP Coordinator.
- J. Thompson & A. Parks posing for a picture.
- J. Jacobs & P. Gangopadhyay during a conference break.
- M. Silos from Surinam talking about colonialization and globalization.
- B. Ballenger at the 2002 Alumni Seminar provides insight into the 2002 General Election.
- Michigan EPFP Alumni attending the 2002 Alumni Seminar at Kellogg Center.
- D. Livingston & R. Welch talk about EPFP to a prospective Fellow.
- H. Morman, EPFP National Director, making remarks at the 2002 Alumni Seminar.
- O. Christmas & A. Rojas-Dedenbach at the 2002 Alumni Seminar.
Michigan EPFP 2002-03 Photo Yearbook
These photographs capture and chronicle the meetings, experiences, and activities of Michigan EPFP Fellows as they progress through their fellowship year.
Seminar Speakers & Resources
- J. Padden, President of PPA, responds to a question.
- D. Plank discussing the Policy Center at MSU.
- J. Overton, D. Plank, & E. Ryan after their Think Tank Seminar.
- H. Hastings explores ethical issues and values.
- A. Colton presenting on Teacher Quality.
- D. Crawford discusses Teacher Quality from the school district perspective.
- J. Brayman & N. Schwartz, members of the Teacher Quality panel.
- V. Marsh, a member of the Teacher Quality panel.
- C. Poole presents the State Board's model of Teacher Quality.
- M. Urban-Lurain, S. Aeschbach, & K. Brown during a presentation.
- 2002-03 Michigan Teacher of the Year, S. Gutierrez.
Learning Team Photos
- The Teacher Quality Learning Team during their initial planning meeting.
- Another picture of the Teacher Quality Learning Team.
- A picture of the "No Child Left Behind" Learning Team.
National Conferences - Miami, Florida
- The Michigan delegation, joined by Betty Hale & Hunter Moorman of IEL following a leadership development experience.
- Several of the Michigan Fellows attending a panel discussion.
- D. Holley, S. Gutierrez, M. Matlosz, M. Coxon, M. Urban-Lurain & K. Golinski discussing leadership challenges.
- V. Vitols, B. Campbell, B. Reinink, J. Stark, S. Aeschbach, K. Brown, & K. Lund engage in a table discussion.
- G. Blackburn reviewing the case study.
- D. Whitley, A. Crawford, D. Holley, B. Boxley, & B. Duckham in a team discussion.
- The Michigan Fellows taking a break.
- M. Coxon, M. Urban-Lurain, S Krishnan, A. Henry, & S. Gutierrez in a team discussion.
- L. Burroughs, K. Golinski, M. Matlosz, & G. Blackburn discuss the NCLB legislation.
- S. Schwartz, S. Buie & D. Schultz examine a digital camera.
- B. Boxley on his cellphone staying connected with his office.
- S. Gutierrez, K. Brown, V. Vitols, B. Reinink, D. Whitley, & J. Swanson reviewing the conference agenda.
- K. Golinkski poses a question to the panel.
- S. Rigney from the US DED, J. Manise from CCSSO, & R. Monson, NY EPFP coordinator present on NCLB.
- M. Coxon contributes to the discussion on NCLB.
- L. Burroughs posing for a picture after asking a question.
- S. Krishnan reacting to the NCLB panel.
- V. Vitos commenting on the Case Study in the "Fishbowl."
- K. Golinski, S. Rigney, S. Krishnan, B. Perez, & A. Crawford pose for a picture.
- C. Fahie & a colleague in the "Fishbowl."
- The audience observing the case study discussion in the "Fishbowl."
- S. Gutierrez enjoying her trip to Miami Beach.
- H. Moorman leading the Case Study discussion.
- A view of the "Fishbowl" format.
- K. Golinski shown developing her networking skills.
- B. Hale & B. Perez debriefing the Project Planning exercise.
- B. Reinink & M. Wright from the PA EPFP.
- D. Crawford & M. Silos pose for a picture.
- E. Bauer from Oakland Schools discusses disaggregating assessment data.
- E. Bauer & P. Bielawski following their presentation on state standards.
- SBE Member H. Moyer presents on the NCLB legislation.
- G. Blackburn & staff from Oakland Schools test out the Touchpad Response System.
- G. Blackburn & M. Gerzon discuss global issues.
Other EPFP Pictures
- S. Carnell, SBE President K. Strauss, Governor Jennifer Granholm, & J. Thompson.
- L. Buch, S. Carnell, Governor Jennifer Granholm, & J. Thompson.